How to do hanging indent on google docs
To create a hanging indent in Google Docs for a follow these steps:
Open Google Docs:
- Go to the Google Docs website docs.google.com.
- Sign in to your Google account if you arent already signed in.
Create a New Document:
- Click on the “+ Blank” or “Blank” option to create a new blank document.
- Start typing or paste your 1000word article into the document.
Select the Text You Want to Format:
- Click and drag your cursor to select the text you want to apply the hanging indent to. This is typically the entire article.
Access the Paragraph Settings:
- Go to the “Format” menu at the top of the screen.
Open the “Paragraph Styles” Menu:
- In the “Format” menu hover your mouse over “Paragraph styles.”
Customize Paragraph Styles:
- A sidebar will appear on the right. Click the “Normal text” option to open a dropdown menu.
- Click “Update Normal text to match.”
Set the Hanging Indent:
- In the “Indents and spacing” section of the “Paragraph style” sidebar look for the “Special” dropdown menu.
- Click the “Special” dropdown menu and select “Hanging.”
- You can adjust the “By” value to control how far the indent should be from the left margin. The default is typically 0.5 inches but you can change it as needed.
Apply the Hanging Apply Indent:
- Click the ” Normal text” button at the bottom of the sidebar. This will apply the hanging indent formatting to the selected text.
Review and Adjust:
- Review your document to ensure that the hanging indent is applied correctly to your 1000word article.
- Make any additional adjustments as needed.
Your 1000word article should now have a hanging indent where the first line starts at the left margin and subsequent lines are indented. This formatting is commonly used for bibliographies references and citations in academic writing.